Land development questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that address some of the most common queries relating to the development and zoning of properties in South Africa. These questions range from the basic definitions of key terms to practical examples of rezoning projects. Our aim is to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of this complex topic, supporting you in navigating the zoning and development landscape of South Africa.

2020 Planning Group offers a comprehensive range of town planning services. These include land use applications, rezoning, township establishment, consent uses, subdivision or consolidation of land, and more. Additionally, we also assist clients with business license applications, project management for land development, and post-approval construction projects.
While we are based in Pretoria Centurion, our services extend across the northern provinces of South Africa, including Gauteng, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West, and Free State.
Our team of professional town planners are registered with The South African Council for Planners. They have extensive experience in various aspects of town planning and land development, including rezoning, subdivision, consolidation, and more.
Reach out to us for an expert consultation to start your journey. Contact us to discuss your development goals and how our team can assist you in achieving them.
We work with a variety of clients, including private individuals, business owners, and government agencies. Regardless of your type of project or the scale, we are committed to providing the highest level of service and support.
We are a 100% level 1 BBBEE contributor and registered with SACPLAN. Our team has extensive experience and our services are tailored to our clients' specific needs. Our ability to fast-track land development applications and assist in obtaining necessary land use permits and licenses distinguishes us in the field.
Yes, as part of our land development application process, we offer business license applications for petroleum and fuel licenses for filling stations, fuel depots, and public garages.
We have received excellent feedback from past clients, who commend our professional handling of complex land development projects, strategic forward-thinking, and commitment to our clients' vision. Our meticulous attention to detail and understanding of the local development regulations and policies have also been highlighted in reviews.
Yes, we have a dedicated team of town planners who are experienced in project management for land development applications and construction projects for post-approval services.
Yes, we assist clients with the subdivision or consolidation of land as part of our range of services.
Mr. Magau Mulisa, the founder of 2020 Planning Group and 2020 Trucking Logistics, serves as the Director and CEO of the company. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban and Regional Planning and has worked with various companies across Tshwane Pretoria, Johannesburg, and Ekurhuleni.
The 2020 Planning Group operates from offices located in Lyttelton Manor, Centurion, Pretoria, Gauteng. However, the reach of our services extends across South Africa.
The 2020 Planning Group has been providing specialized consultancy services in land-use rights and permits management since our establishment in 2015.
Rezoning is defined as the process of changing land use rights from one to another. For instance, a property may change from "residential 1" to "business 1".
Key zoning rights in South Africa include residential zoning, business zoning, agricultural zoning, and industrial zoning.
2020 Planning Group assists clients in obtaining land-use rights through the rezoning process, which is necessary when land is to be used for a purpose different than what it was originally intended for. Our professional town planners work with clients to identify the most effective way to obtain approvals.
The duration can take 8 to 12 months depending on the complexity of the project and the nature of the property. For a detailed estimate, you can contact 2020 Planning Group for a consultation.
Yes, rezoning can potentially increase property value depending on the new intended use of the land and its location. Each case is unique and may require a professional assessment to determine the potential increase in value.
The cost of rezoning a property can vary from R60000 to R150000 depending on various factors such as the location, size, and existing land use. For a detailed cost estimate, you can contact 2020 Planning Group.
Documents typically required for a rezoning application include a copy of the title deed, Power of Attorney, a copy of the Zoning Certificate, Company Certificate (for properties under a company), and an ID Copy (for properties under individuals).
The rezoning process includes eight steps: document sourcing, pre-application consultations, preparation of application, submission of the rezoning application, public participation, follow-up on application, engaging interested and affected parties, and finalization of the application.
You can typically obtain a copy of your zoning certificate from your local municipality. The 2020 Planning Group can also assist in obtaining this document as part of the rezoning process.
The SPLUMA is a national legislation in South Africa that provides a framework for spatial planning and land use management. It guides the rezoning process across the country.
Township establishment is a process of creating a fully functioning community with all necessary amenities and infrastructures on a specific piece of land. You should apply for a township establishment when you plan to develop a large piece of land into a residential, commercial, or mixed-use area.
The cost for township establishment varies from R300000 to R800000 based on the size and complexity of the project. Several factors influence the cost, such as the cost of acquiring land, professional service fees (town planners, surveyors, engineers, attorneys, etc.), the cost of studies and assessments required, advertising costs, and fees associated with the application process. Please contact us for a detailed quote based on your specific project.
The timeline for a township establishment can vary greatly, but on average it can take anywhere from 18 months to 3 years, or even longer. This is due to the intricacies of the process, which include conducting various assessments, obtaining necessary approvals, dealing with possible objections, and fulfilling conditions of establishment.
Key documents required for a township establishment application include a copy of the title deed, power of attorney, zoning certificate, company certificate (for properties under a company), and ID copy (for properties under individuals). Further documentation, such as layout plans, motivation memorandums, and specialist studies, are also required as part of the application.
A professional town planner plays a crucial role in the township establishment process. They are responsible for compiling and lodging the application, conducting and coordinating various assessments, drafting layout plans, preparing planning reports and motivation memorandums, and managing the entire process from inception to approval. They also engage with municipalities, other professionals, and the public throughout the process.
Public participation is a crucial step in the township establishment process. It involves advertising the application to engage interested and affected parties. The feedback and input from the community are considered in the decision-making process to ensure that the new township meets the needs of the community and aligns with local development plans.
Conditions of Establishment' refers to the set of requirements or conditions that the developer must meet for the township establishment to be approved. These conditions can be related to infrastructure development, environmental considerations, public amenities, and other aspects necessary for creating a fully functioning community. Compliance with these conditions is monitored by the municipality.
Subdivision is the process of dividing properties or farmland into smaller portions for various purposes. The newly created parcels can be sold or developed independently. Consolidation is the process of combining two or more parcels of land into one larger plot. These processes involve application and approval from relevant authorities and registration with the Deeds Office.
While both processes involve dividing a larger piece of land into smaller portions, subdivision generally applies to land within urban development boundaries, often referred to as “infill-development” or “densification.” Division of farmland, on the other hand, specifically applies to agricultural-zoned land and is governed by the Subdivision of Agricultural Land Act, Act 70 of 1970.
2020 Planning Group provides comprehensive services in assisting property owners with the complexities of subdivision and consolidation applications. This includes planning, securing permits, negotiating with neighbors and councils, and registering the newly formed properties with the Deeds Office. If we are unable to secure a permit, we offer a money-back guarantee.
The process of subdivision and consolidation can be complex and involves dealing with various legal and planning procedures. A professional town planner has the knowledge and experience necessary to navigate these procedures efficiently and ensure a successful outcome. They can provide guidance, handle paperwork, negotiate with relevant parties, and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and policies.
Infill-development or densification refers to the development of vacant or underused parcels within existing urban areas that are already largely developed. Subdivision is commonly used in this context to allow for more efficient use of land and increase housing density.
The Subdivision of Agricultural Land Act, Act 70 of 1970, is crucial in the division of farmland as it imposes regulations to protect agricultural land as an essential economic resource. It seeks to prevent impracticable farming portions resulting from subdivisions and governs how land use rights in farms and agricultural holdings are granted.
After subdivision, the newly created smaller parcels can be sold or developed independently, providing opportunities for additional income or investment. With consolidation, the larger parcel of land can be used for expanded development or as a more sizable asset to sell.
You can request a quote for your subdivision or consolidation project by contacting us directly via phone, or you can simply request an online quote through our website or WhatsApp.
A Consent Use Application is a formal request submitted to the municipality to gain specific development rights within the existing zoning classification of a property, as outlined in the applicable Tshwane Town Planning Scheme.
Benefits of Consent Use Applications include optimal land use, improved amenities in your area, efficient land development, support for sustainable neighborhoods, and rectification of spatial imbalances to promote balanced growth, job creation, economic inclusion, and social equity.
The process involves gathering all required documentation, submitting your application to the town planning department for review and assessment, and adhering to the department's response which could be an approval, rejection, or revision. In some cases, a public participation process may also be involved.
If the proposed use does not comply with zoning regulations and other applicable laws, the municipality may reject the application. You can revise your plans to meet the requirements or appeal the decision through the appropriate channels.
The necessary documentation includes the property deed, proposed plans, compliance evidence with zoning regulations, and any other relevant information specified by the municipality.
In some cases, the Consent Use Application process may involve a public participation process. This allows the community to provide feedback on the proposed use of the property and its potential impact.
Once approved, you must adhere to any conditions set by the municipality, such as property maintenance and usage restrictions.
You can contact us directly via phone, or you can simply request an online quote through our website or WhatsApp. We will guide you through the process, helping you maximize land utilization and contribute to sustainable development.
The division of farmland essentially involves partitioning agricultural land into two or more distinct parcels. It requires adherence to relevant legislation and interactions with various authorities.
Agricultural land holds significant economic value in South Africa. Hence, its division and use are subject to strict regulations to protect this value and ensure its sustainable use.
There may be exceptions when agricultural land, situated within urban boundaries, no longer serves agricultural purposes. In such cases, the land may be subject to different rules and regulations.
The process involves engaging professional help, submitting a division application to the local municipality, awaiting reviews from the national and provincial departments of agriculture, amending the SG Diagram to represent the proposed new parcels of land, and finally, registering the new title deeds with the Deeds Office.
Qualified town planners like those at 2020 Planning Group can help guide you through the division application process. They have the expertise to ensure a smooth and compliant application process.
The division application needs to be lodged with the local municipality. This submission must comply with the Agricultural Land Act of 1970 and the Land Act Repeal Act of 1998.
Excision refers to the process of converting an agricultural holding back into a farm portion. It requires an application to the Council and their approval before any land use application can proceed.
The Excision of Agricultural Holding application needs to be lodged with the Council.
This process is necessary when you want to convert an agricultural holding back into a farm portion. The Excision of Agricultural Holding application must be submitted and approved before any other land use application can be pursued.
A second dwelling is a small self-contained living space that can either be attached or separate from the main single-family home. It must be built on the same property as the primary dwelling.
Key requirements may vary depending on local regulations, but generally include aspects such as lot size, zoning restrictions, setback requirements, and adherence to building codes.
A second dwelling provides homeowners with additional housing options on their property. It could be used for rental income, housing for extended family, or as a guest house, among other uses.
Restrictive conditions in a Title Deed impose limitations on certain activities or land uses. These conditions can affect what type of development, usage, or alterations can be carried out on a property.
This application aims to eliminate restrictions in a Title Deed, allowing for more flexibility in property use. It involves engaging a qualified town planner who will assist in preparing and submitting the application to the local municipality.
The application should include relevant details, supporting documents, and justifications for the removal of the restrictive conditions.
Zoning is a system implemented by different levels of government to effectively organize and regulate the use of land within a specific area. It is a tool for controlling and governing land development, dividing land into designated zones or categories, each with its own set of regulations and permitted uses.
In South Africa, zoning is primarily classified into four categories: residential, business, industrial, and agricultural. These categories determine the primary purpose and permitted uses of the land within each zone.
Residential zoning designates areas for residential use or the development of residential properties. It is further classified into different zones (for example, residential 1, which allows for the construction of a single dwelling unit on a property) depending on the specific municipality.
Business zoning designates areas specifically for commercial or business activities. The classification of business zones can vary depending on the local municipality, but generally includes different zones for various types of commercial activities.
Industrial zoning focuses on areas earmarked for industrial purposes, like manufacturing, warehousing, and other industrial activities. These zones are often categorized into light and heavy industrial zones.
Agricultural zoning is designated for land primarily intended for agricultural activities. Agricultural land can be classified into different categories, such as undetermined, agricultural holdings, and agricultural farms.
Yes, while zoning categories and primary uses are generally similar across South African municipalities, there can be differences in secondary uses or uses that require consent from the municipality. For instance, the regulations in the City of Johannesburg may differ from those in the City of Tshwane.
To ensure compliance with zoning regulations, it is crucial to understand the various zoning categories and their specific regulations in your respective area. Contact your local government or municipality for more detailed information or consult with a knowledgeable professional in the field.
A petroleum license in South Africa is a crucial requirement for businesses intending to engage in the bulk purchase and distribution of petroleum products within the country. The license is issued by the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy and remains valid for the duration of your business operations.
The Petroleum License in South Africa is granted by the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy.
The application process involves several steps. Firstly, you need to complete the application form provided by the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy. After submission, the department will instruct you to publish a notice of application in four local newspapers. You then have to provide proof of this publication to the department. The department will then review your application for compliance with relevant regulations, and if approved, you will be granted your petroleum wholesale license.
After submission of the application, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy will direct you to publish a notice of application in four local newspapers. You then have to submit proof of this publication as a part of your application process. The department will then review and evaluate your application for compliance with relevant regulations.
Once you've obtained your petroleum wholesale license, you're required to submit annual reports detailing your business operations. These reports serve to ensure regulatory compliance and help monitor the activities of petroleum wholesale license holders.
Rezoning for medical consultation rooms involves changing the designated use of a property to allow for the establishment of medical or dental practices. The rezoning process allows healthcare practitioners to create consultation rooms in convenient locations, providing easy access to healthcare services for the community.
Rezoning is important for medical consultation rooms as it enables practitioners to create specialized spaces tailored to their medical disciplines. It also allows healthcare services to be easily accessible to the community, reducing travel distances, and enhancing convenience for patients. Additionally, rezoning contributes to the local economy and promotes job creation by providing employment opportunities in the healthcare sector.
Rezoning for medical consultation rooms offers several benefits, including the ability to establish medical practices in convenient locations, improved accessibility to healthcare services for communities, creation of specialized spaces for various medical disciplines, and promotion of the local economy through job creation.
The requirement for rezoning varies by municipality. For instance, in the Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, medical consultation rooms can be established through a consent use application without needing to rezone the property. However, in Ekurhuleni and Tshwane, specific rezoning procedures must be followed to establish medical consultation rooms.
The process may differ across municipalities. In Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, medical consultation rooms can be established through a consent use application, without rezoning. In contrast, in Ekurhuleni and Tshwane, specific rezoning procedures need to be followed, which may involve an application process with the local government, compliance with certain regulations, and an approval process.
Rezoning for medical consultation rooms supports the local economy by generating employment opportunities for healthcare professionals, administrative staff, and support personnel. This not only enhances the local job market but also contributes to the socio-economic development of the community.
Various types of medical and dental practitioners can benefit from rezoning for medical consultation rooms, including general practitioners, specialists, dentists, ophthalmologists, psychiatrists, traditional healers, and special therapists. However, this does not include institutions.
Zoning is the process of designating specific areas or zones for particular land uses, playing a vital role in urban planning and ensuring that different types of properties are appropriately allocated within municipalities.
A dwelling-unit is a self-contained suite of rooms that are internally connected. It comprises of habitable rooms, bathrooms, toilets, and usually, a single kitchen. It is primarily intended for residence by a single family, a single person, or two unmarried individuals.
A block of flats comprises two or more dwelling-units located within a building. These dwelling-units may span one or more storeys and share a common entrance or foyer. Additionally, a block of flats may include communal facilities like laundries and vending machines, which are exclusively for the residents.
Residential 1 zoning is a category that imposes limitations on property owners, allowing only the construction of single-family dwelling houses. This zoning category is prevalent in areas where maintaining a low-density residential character is a priority.
Rezoning is necessary if a property owner or developer wishes to build additional dwelling units on a residential 1 stand. Rezoning involves changing the designated zoning category of a property to one that permits the desired development.
The rezoning process for dwelling units involves several considerations, including the desired number of units, the size of the property, the density of the area, and compliance with municipal by-laws and the regional spatial development framework, which outlines the long-term development goals of the municipality.
Practical examples of rezoning projects include the rezoning of a property in Midrand, Johannesburg, from residential 1 to residential 3 to develop 20 dwelling units, and the rezoning of a property in Centurion, Pretoria, from residential 1 to residential 4 to construct 40 dwelling units.
Zoning regulations define the scope of construction permitted in each area, guiding the development of dwelling units in South Africa. Understanding these regulations and the differentiations between dwelling-houses, blocks of flats, and other residential types is essential for developers to navigate the zoning landscape effectively, adhere to municipal guidelines, and unlock new opportunities for creating multi-unit residential complexes.
A hotel refers to a land and building establishment used for accommodation purposes as defined in the Tourism Act. It may offer amenities like staff accommodation, a place of refreshment solely for guests, and a conference center. However, it excludes properties classified as a block of flats, block of tenements, boarding houses, hostels, guest houses, backpackers, and retirement centers.
Residential buildings encompass various types of residential properties, including hotels, blocks of flats, block of tenements, boarding houses, and others. On the other hand, hotels specifically refer to establishments catering to short-term guests, as defined in the Tourism Act, and may offer additional facilities such as staff accommodations, place of refreshment for guests, and conference centers.